We know that living with IBS can be difficult and feel overwhelming, unpredictable and embarrassing. That it can impact on our relationships, our ability to socialise and our confidence. We might begin to feel depressed or anxious. We know that stress, anxiety and low mood can impact on IBS and we can find ourselves stuck in a vicious cycle.
We know that sharing how we are feeling helps so try and think about someone you trust and share with them how you feel. We can offer a range of treatments for people with IBS who are also struggling with anxiety and/or depression including short courses, individual cognitive behavioural therapy and mindfulness groups.
Don’t forget about others who will be more than happy to support you: GP, nurses or the IAPT workers in your surgery.
Living Well with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Course
Living well with IBS is a course which provides you with proven ways to reduce stress, anxiety and depression symptoms which might be impacting on your management of your condition.
It is an opportunity to meet other people living with IBS and learn from each other’s experiences.
What can I expect from these sessions?
- NHS professionals teach you evidence-based methods of dealing with low mood, anxiety and depression in relation to living with IBS
- You receive a FREE workbook at the first session
- Learn from other group member’s experiences
- You will receive a telephone review at the end of the course with one of the facilitators
When & Where?
There are a total of 5 sessions which are two and half hours long (with plenty of breaks) and run on a weekly basis. We currently have courses beginning on the following dates:
- Wednesday 14th February – 10:00am-12:30pm – Dovedale
- Wednesday 21st March – 9:30-11:30am – Thorncliffe
- Wednesday 25th April – 9:30-11:30am – Woodseats Medical Centre
- Wednesday 30th May – 10:00am-12:30pm – Grenoside Grange
- Wednesday 4th July – 10:00am-12:30pm – Dovedale
- Wednesday 8th August – 10:00am-12:30pm – Grenoside Grange
- Wednesday 12th September – 9:30-11:30am – Woodseats Medical Centre
- Wednesday 17th October – 10:00am-12:30pm – Grenoside Grange
- Wednesday 21st November – 10:00am-12:30pm – Dovedale
Fairlawns Medical Centre
Dovedale 2, Michael Carlisle Centre
Thorncliffe Health & Leisure Centre
Woodseats Medical Centre
How will this help me?
Help you understand the links between low mood, anxiety and how this can affect management of IBS
Learn techniques to help you manage depression, anxiety and stress symptoms
As well as improving confidence and being able to cope with the challenges of having IBS
Give you the chance to practice your learning between sessions
What does each session involve?
For best results, try to come to every session so you don’t miss any important information.
Understanding how IBS affects you physically and emotionally and learn how to relax.
Exploring links between IBS and anxiety and learn how to improve confidence.
Looking at how thinking affects the way we feel and cope with IBS symptoms. Develop ways to manage stress and worry.
This session we will be joined by an NHS dietician who specialises in IBS to give advice on what foods are best to avoid or include in your diet.
Improve relationships with others. Plan for the future and learn how to cope with IBS setbacks.
How do I access?
IBS wellbeing sessions are open to all patients with IBS symptoms who would like to learn proven techniques to overcome common symptoms of stress, anxiety and low mood, as well as improving confidence and being able to cope with the challenges of having IBS.
To book your free place call us on:
0114 271 6568